Sunday, April 6, 2008

At the midterm

I am halfway through the semester. Whew! So much to read, so much to write, I am learning a lot and rediscovering the discipline of keeping up with academic demands.

I have decided on a research project.

I am interested in studying undergraduate nursing students' perceptions of HIgh Fidelity Patient Simulators. The title I am considering now is:

"USING CLINICAL SIMULATION FOR TEACHING
MATERNITY NURSING SKILLS:

STUDENTS’ PERCEPTION OF A LEARNING EXPERIENCE"

Wondering what that is? High fidelity patient simulators (HPS) are hi-tech manikins computerized for training purposes. The Human Patient Simulator is a life size mannequin linked to a computer through a host of electro-mechanical equipment. This integration of electro-mechanics into the mannequin makes the users experience very realistic. It can be used for training in almost every area of patient care. there is a Sim Man, a Sim Woman, a Sim Baby, and my personal favorite, the Sim Pregnant Woman who actually labors and delivers.

I plan to have my research project explore the use of this technology for teaching undergraduate nursing students certain basic maternity nursing assessment skills.

I am very excited, I keep you updated on my progress

No comments:

Jacquie Lawson e-cards

Even some pets have a blog, so why not me?

More and more we live our lives in the ether. It is easy to be the armchair expert when we need less and less to look our audience in the eye.

Last semester I took a "teaching and learning with technology" class and I started to become familiar with the great ether in a more usable way. so I decided to try it out.

But there are so many places to go and I must use my time wisely. Entertainment has never been so easy or more time consuming.